Grab our Button



The Inadvertent Voyeur by FFReaderRW


Official Summary
Although tortured by guilt, Carlisle cannot stop watching Edward from his kitchen window. He feels an indescribable connection to him that takes him years to comprehend. AU Vamp slash. WARNING: Some child abuse is briefly mentioned.

Review
For those of you who don’t know me, in addition to working as part of the TwiFicDataBase staff, I’m one of the lucky women behind the Vampslash blog/contest. (Shamless plug, I know. It couldn’t be avoided.) So when FFReaderRW submited The Inadvertent Voyeur as a Pick of the Week candidate, I was all over it!

This story features a vamp Dr. Carlisle Cullen and Edward Masen as a human teen. As their next door neighbor, Carlisle is afforded the opportunity to watch Edward quite closely. Half the time Carlisle doesn’t even realize he is watching Edward, he gets so caught up in the young man’s actions that he is unaware of his own.

His heightened senses also allow him to pick up on goings on in the Masen household to which no one else is privy. We get a brief glimpse into a slightly darker Carlisle than we generally imagine when he overhears Mr. Masen’s form of discipline.

I began monitoring the house from my kitchen window when I was home from work. Two days later I heard the distinct slapping of a strap and a child's pitiful cries begging for forgiveness. It took every ounce of restraint to keep from rushing into their house. I had never felt such hatred for any living creature.

I began planning that animal's demise. I waited patiently until he was alone before confronting him. It was late and he had gone outside that evening to smoke a cigarette. His eyes widened in horror when I suddenly appeared in front of him, growling out his name. With my right arm, I grasped him by the throat and lifted him high off the ground.”
After the not-so-unfortunate demise of Edward Masen Sr., Carlisle becomes a more active participant in young Edward’s life, encouraging his intellect and artistic abilities. Carlisle’s feelings for Edward are chaste and paternal in the beginning. He only wants Edward to be comfortable, safe and happy - it is all he has ever wanted.

Eventually, as Edward grows to physical maturity, Carlisle recognizes that it is not just his favorite human’s mind to which he is attracted... Edward’s subtle flirtations also do not go unnoticed by the good doctor.

An unexpected heartbreak is what finally brings these two together. Carlisle is Edward’s only companion in his deepest time of need.

"She's dead, isn't she?" His voice is rough. His eyes are glassy.

He has made it easy for me. I simply nod. I sit on the table in front of him and take his hands in both of mine. I need to comfort him in some way. My hands are abnormally cold, but he is so numb right now that he doesn't seem to notice. He stares at the waiting room door blankly, as though he expects [her] to walk in any moment. [...]

For several minutes we sit together and he cries unabated. I try soothing him by stroking his back. I have never had to deal with something like this and I'm at a loss as to what to do. His arms are wrapped so tightly around me that if I were human, I would be in physical pain. [...] His face is buried in my neck and I can feel his hot tears rolling down over my collarbone and down my abdomen.
The Inadvertent Voyeur is a beautiful story - a tale of love and loss and bone-deep need. If you’ve never read slash, or you love slash but have been wary of a Carlisle/Edward pairing, please don’t let that stop you from reading this little oneshot. You’ll be amazed at how naturally this pair fits together.

Author’s Interview

What gave you the idea for this story?
We have a young, handsome pool guy come around once a week to clean our pool. He lets himself into the backyard through the gate and one day I watched him as he worked. He had his earbuds in and seemed totally oblivious to anything going on around him.

Are there any fanfic authors that inspire you?
Yes there are many, but for C/E stories I have to say that Pace is the trick (idylchild) is my favorite. Her vision of all things Carlisle is truly amazing. Like her, I cannot believe that after being alone for more than 200 years, Carlisle would choose to change a human male for purely platonic companionship. Two other Carlisle writers that are favorites are giselle-lx and EliseShaw.

What was your main inspiration for your lead characters?
I can’t think of anything in particular that inspired their personalities in this story. It’s simply the way I’ve always imagined those two.

What do you think it takes to make a fic special and stand out to a reader?
The emotions have to speak to the reader. The story can be completely far-fetched, but the emotions the characters feel have to be realistic.

What did/do you find the hardest about writing this story?
I didn’t want Carlisle to sound like a pervert. He would have to be human for that. I wanted readers to see that as a vampire his attraction to Edward was instinctual. Edward was his mate.

Why do you think people should read this story?
I think the story is warm and sweet and, if a reader likes that sort of thing, they will enjoy it.

What cliches do you feel authors should avoid while writing fanfic?
I haven’t been a writer long enough to feel comfortable giving other writers advice.

Do your RL friends and family know about your love and obsession with all things Twilight?
My husband is a Twilight fanfic reader. He understandably doesn’t care for slash, but is completely obsessed with Bella/Edward stories. This is one little family secret that we share. However, none of our other family knows. It’s fun having a secret from them.

Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
I am completely committed to finishing my Edward/Jasper WIP first, but I want to write another C/E story afterwards. It will probably be a sequel to this story.

Do you have anyone that you'd like to thank for helping and supporting you through this fic?
Bbeyedgirl has been the best pre-reader and beta ever.

When you aren't writing which fics are you reading right now?
I am reading a lot of stories right now, but I drop everything when Errors and Omissions or Mergers and Acquisitions post new chapters.

How were you introduced to the fandom? Do you remember which story was the first you read?
Like most everyone, I was obsessed with Stephenie Meyers’ books. I read a copy of Midnight Sun on her website and that got me hooked on Edward’s point of view. Surfing the internet for more information on the books, I accidently came across fanfiction. At the beginning, I read the usual Edward/Bella stories. I don’t remember which story was the first one I read. However, I do remember the first slash story that caught my attention shortly after I started reading fanfiction. It was Over The Top by starfish422. I never went back to het stories after that.

Is there any information that you would like to share that was not already covered?
THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks for reading!
TwiFicDataBase Staff
@sapphirescribe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to tell us what you think...we couldn't do any of this without your support...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More