Grab our Button



The White Swan Lodge by jarkin33

The White Swan Lodge by jarkin33


Official Summary
Tragedy led her there. Commitment forced him there. Can a place of beauty and solitude hold the fate they were both seeking…

Review:
I absolutely love @jaimearkin, she is my twitter sweetheart who keeps me bopping my head to cool tunes and almost always has an answer for my odd questions. So I was excited to read her fic, and extremely excited when it left me drooling after the first paragraph. And let me tell you...that is a hard feat to accomplish.

I was happy to meet an Edward and Bella who were out of puberty and at a stage in their lives that I could relate to. The White Swan Lodge begins with a tragedy for Bella. One that forces her to change everything about herself. I have been reading fanfiction for many years and jarkin33’s Bella is now one of my favorites. I love that her characters are real and are experiencing real life situations.


My mother was for all intents and purposes my best friend. Tears spilled onto my cheeks as the memories and regret of lost years won out. I stood sobbing at the foot of the Lodge for a few moments. The sensation of a light breeze rippled through the tall pine trees surrounding me as if urging me forward. I inhaled the fresh air, wiped my tears, squared my shoulders and took one careful step at a time to the front door and my future.


We watch as Bella faces challenge after challenge in taking over the lodge. Not only is she stepping into her very respected mother’s role but memories of her mother are in every nook and cranny. Bella has lived a solitary life in Arizona as a Nature Photographer, but when told that her mother was killed in a car accident she packed up her apartment and cat Quill to take over the lodge. We see Bella’s strength while she is getting settled into the lodge, learning to operate a five star Bed and Breakfast.

Edward, oh how we all love Edward. Writing for a travel magazine has kept Edward lonely and away from his roots. His apartment is more like a hotel, a place to repack his black duffel bag. He has come to the realization that he needs to make some changes if he ever wants to share his life with another. When he is sent to The White Swan Lodge to write a review, he is torn, knowing that Bella is new to the hotel industry. But he is determined to make the best out of the situation. He is immediately drawn to Bella, her strength and beauty are a force that leave him wanting more and more.

Not able to resist any longer, I pushed open the swinging door and the sight nearly knocked me over. I had to lean against the small counter that housed the espresso machine to brace my weight. The idyllic beauty of the surrounding waterfalls, mountains and lakes be damned. I had a barefoot Bella Swan in front of me… sucking icing off her finger…with her eyes closed in motherfucking ecstasy.


This fic has it all; it’s full of lust, passion, and very yummy lemons, but also a beautifully written plot. The way she describes the settings draws the reader in, as if you were a fly on the wall.

The White Swan Lodge was set a good distance off the main highway. The entrance led to a secluded setting hidden in the expansive dense woods. I missed the immense blanket of Douglas firs, Red Cedars and spruces seen in this part of the country. I definitely understood the popularity and attraction to the area; a person could easily lose themselves in the lush environment.


So if you are ready to read something completely new and wonderfully written what are you waiting for? The prologue will draw you in and each chapter there after will keep you on the edge of your seat.


Author’s Interview:
What gave you the idea for this story?
My lovely friend and I were brainstorming one evening and she placed this tiny little plot bunny called ‘Bella owns a lodge or bed & breakfast’ into my head and it festered!! That is how TWSL came to be!

Are their any FF authors that inspire you?
Tons! I seriously aspire to be as talented as some of my faves. Names, Lillybellis, littlesecret84, phoebes.promise, elusivetwilight, nerac, antiaol, denverpopcorn, cescamarie … check my faves list cuz they are all incredibly talented and inspiring!

What was your main inspiration for your lead characters?
My main inspiration… I think mainly I wanted likeable characters that I could relate to and not hate! I’m in my 30’s and I was in a rut where it seemed all the stuff I was reading or getting rec’d were high school stories or B/E in their 20’s. I wanted mature characters who were at a certain point in their lives.

Edward -he was pretty set in stone in my mind from the get-go. I wanted just a regular guy - He had to be sweet and sexy. Bella, was revamped in my mind a few times. She started out as someone completely different than what I actually ended up creating her as I think. I look at my initial notes and I really like what I did with her instead.

What do you think it takes to make a fic special and stand out to a reader?
That’s a good question! I think it has to spark some kind of emotion within the reader. Some of my absolute favorites are stories that just haven’t gotten the attention of everyone yet. I say yet, because they will. I’m always surprised when someone hasn’t read my absolute favorite of all-time story!

What do you find the hardest about writing this story?
I don’t know that I found anything hard about writing it…I struggled at the beginning to find Bella’s voice. For some reason it was easier for me to connect with the Edward point of view to tell it so I made that decision early on.

Why do you think people should read this story?
Ummm is this were I talk myself up? LOL - It’s a sweet, fluffy story, minimal angst involved and quite citrusy. I’ve been told the lemons are delicious and who doesn’t like lemons. In all seriousness, it’s just a sweet love story … and a cat.

What cliches do you feel authors should avoid while writing fanfic?
Ok (insert big sigh) there are always going to be clichés -The ones I get tired of because they are overused include: Edward is a multi-billionaire, he’s the hot asshole boss, Edward has a secret trust fund that he lives off of.

Do your RL friends and family know about your love and obsession with all things Twilight?
Yes - for the most part- I’m not exactly hiding it with the Team Edward keychain & Robert Pattinson pictures in my office ya know. LOL

Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Currently I’m working on some projects with the lovely phoebes.promise!
We have a collaboration account just for those -(there are currently a few things stashed away in there already)
We’re aftrnoondlight on ffn and we have two full length things in process right now, and a one-shot for the Fandom Against Sexual Assault Awareness and a contest that I think we’re doing. LMAO -we have lots going on!


Do you have anyone that you'd like to thank for helping and supporting you through this fic?
My heart and soul - phoebes.promise. There were tons of days I was convinced I had to quit but she talked me out of it! AND I never would have posted a single thing without her. She pushed me to post Barely Breathing and I was overwhelmed with the response.

I have to thank all the readers for all the support and kind words… it keeps me going!

When you aren't writing which fics are you reading right now?
What am I reading…
All the Wild Horses by elusivetwilight
Ninety Days & The Companion by samrosey
We Come to Life Beneath the Stars by Lillybellis
Sexy Silk by jlho
My Viking by sheviking
I Never Knew by nerac
Prey for the Wicked by Aleeab4u
Riding the Fence by morethanmyself
The Art of Breaking by jdbeaner
We Were Here by lola-pops
Vines by FictionFreak95

How where you introduced to the fandom? Do you remember which FanFic was your first to read?
The first I read was the Rain Season… then The Office … Then Closer by Teambella23 and suddenly here I am. Twitter was a great tool to get to know authors and get involved in the fandom. Now I’m pretty sure I couldn’t get out even if I wanted!


Any additional information you would like posted???
Link to my personal blog -- www.jaimearkin.blogspot.com
I can be found on twitter at @jaimearkin


Thank you for reading!
TwificDataBase Staff
@PrettyPeens

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to tell us what you think...we couldn't do any of this without your support...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More